Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pictures around KC

Here are a few pictures from around where we live. We see these crazy sites all the time, but I never seem to have my camera with me. I'll try to do better in the future. I have got some great video, but the internet is so slow it will not upload any of the video to email or the blog. Maybe it will work better before we get home.

Here is the traffic in front of our house. You can see that it is dominated by motos. Everyone has one. They say they have traffic rules but I don't know what they are and no one obeys them. The only I know if you are the biggest you can go where ever you want.


We see this all the time, but this one is really small. They have these hugh trailers bolted or wired or tied to the back of their 125 cc scooter and call them taxis. They sometimes have 40 people in them. I can't imagine how they get going and how they stop.

These things grow all over the place over here. They are really good, but they have to be picked and eaten when they are still really green. They are only about 4 inches long, but they have a much firmer texture than the ones at home and have really great flavor.
I met these cute little girls who were on their way home from school (saalaarian). Everyone here loves to have their picture taken and when they see a camera they can't wait for you to take their picture and then look at it when they are done. I tried to teach them how to say "see you later alligator" and they did good until they got to alligator and they could not even come close, but they sure laughed when they were trying to say it. I'm not sure what the peace sign means. Peace I guess.
No kidding!! a family really does live in here and they have the cutest little girls that always say HELLO to us every time we walk by. We have taught people who have been in much worse places than this. I know it is hard to believe, but it is true. It is really sad to see how some of them have to live, but they are the happiest people you will ever be around. This hut would have a bamboo floor and the big pots on the right side are for water. They have a well in the back that they get water out of 1 bucket full at a time.
People over here who have anything put big iron rods on the top of their fences and then put this prison kind of razor wire all through it so no one can climb over the fence without something lethal happening. Some people can't afford the rods and wire so they just use broken glass in cement on top of their fences. We see this stuff all over the place.
A view above KC. As you can see there is plenty of smog. They burn trash everywhere almost all day long. The good thing is that during the rainey season the rain puts the fires out, but that doesn't come until April or May. The elders say it never rains at all before April and when it starts it really makes up for no rain the rest of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jeff & Ilene,
    It's so great to see you doing so well. We are STILL having winter here, so I'm jealous of your warm temperatures and sunshine! I think of you often and hope you know that whatever help I can be to your family here...sign me up!
    Love to you both,
    Teacher Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little girls just look so happy. I bet they wanted lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete